Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Millionaire Quiz - USD29 Riddle

This is a quiz. If you can answer this quiz, you're have potential power to become financially independent one day. If you can't answer this test, you can forget about it. I'm sorry. Hahaha... I'm just kidding. This is the riddle I got it from my colleague few weeks ago. I think this is something good to share:

Here is the riddle:

Three people check into a hotel. They all collect $10 each and pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to be returned. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among those three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person.

Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totaling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.

Where is the remaining dollar?

4 Comments:

BeeTin said...

I've heard this before.. but forgot the answer already.. Perhaps i might return some other day with the answer ..hahah if only i remember.

ChampDog said...

Yupe, this is the old one and it is very tricky. :)

Reflections Magazine editor said...

I am not a math teacher but an English teacher. Math is NOT my subject, but after sharing this with friends, I learned that this problem is not about math; it is about words. So here is my take. The room really cost $25.00. If you add the 3.00 they got back and the $2.00 the bellboy kept, it equals $30.00. So there is no missing dollar. Is this the answer? I am curious to know what you think.

ChampDog said...

Yes, you got the answer right! Each person pays $9 is the wrong statement. In reality, each person pays ($10-$5/3)=$~8.33 and total payment for these 3 person $~8.33 X 3 = $25. It is not $27 or $29 and expecting the $30 is also wrong. :D


Didn't find what you want? Use Google Search Engine below: