It has been quite some time I’ve never had a chance talk to a direct selling person. Until recently, someone just started to approach me about direct selling. It is actually my neighbour insisted want to talk to me. I rejected at the first place but she told me that it isn’t anything about directly selling. Huh?
Me: What is it?
X: It is about a system.
Me: What system? Direct selling system?
X: No, it has nothing to do with direct selling. I’m going to introduce you a system. That’s why we need to talk. Can we meet tomorrow night to discuss in more detail?Me: Some kind of the business? You want me to invest?X: No, it is a system that I want to introduce you. So tomorrow night, okay?Me: Okay, sure. (Just to give face since she is my neighbour. Don’t want to spoil our relationship)
Conversation at that Night
Me: So, let’s start. I’m very curious about the system that you mentioned yesterday that has nothing to do with direct selling.
X: Yes, have you heard of a system?
Me: Huh? What kind of a system?
X: Before we start, you seem like you don’t like direct selling. Would you tell me why? (not answering my question again...)
Me: Yes, I can’t sell. That’s why I don’t like to sell stuff because this is simply not my strength. Unless the product is very good, then I probably can sell.
X: I see. If you don’t like to sell, you can just refer the product to someone else. For example, when you use a very good product and you definitely will share it with others, right? You don’t need to sell at all.... (Blah blah blah…. for few minutes)
Me: Yupe, you’re right. So, what is the “System” about? (not yet answering my question again about the system)
- We talked about all these non-sense for about 30 minutes back and forth and she had not yet explained to me what the system is about.
- She asked a lot of questions like where I buy my toothpaste, my grocery and etc. Then later she started talking about product that directly from the producer to consumers without those advertisement and etc.
- Hey, isn't that all about direct selling right that they usually claim that their products without the charges of marketing, stocking, profit and etc?Me: So, what is the system? I know about all these, what you have been saying so far it seems like a direct selling to me. What do you mean by system at the first place?...
- She started to explain the benefits of joining the direct sell company and how to enjoy the benefits from collecting a point.
Me: So, this is a direct-selling "SYSTEM" in your company? So is this what you meant by the "SYSTEM" where you can also collect points and use that points for certain benefits?
- This takes another 15 minutes and I stopped her half way immediately.X: “Hmm… kind of yes, As you see the "SYSTEM" is very powerful”. (she continued to talk about the "SYSTEM’s crap….)Me (In My Thought Only): Why you don't want to tell at the first place? Why don't you just say the following:
- Our company has a new system which his a totally different concept than the conventional direct-selling company. Do you want to hear about it in detail, maybe you're interested?
I really don’t like most of the direct selling people (of course not all of them). They do not “STRAIGHT to the POINT” and talk a lot (really a lot) before go directly to the point. Their real intention deeply in their heart is want you to become their down line member rather than helping you to buy the right products that you really need.
At the end of our meeting, she did mention that buying direct sell products is actually cheaper and in fact we can save a lot and we can enjoy high quality of the product at the same time. It is cheap with good quality. I told her, if this is really true, I will 100% support your product! I really do…
What do think about direct selling or multi-level marketing? Do you think they’re SCAM?