I came into blogging in 2006 when a friend of mine introduced this to me as the fastest way to get rich. What I have been told at that time is you can earn around US$ 3K per month for a normal not very famous blog. So, US$ 3K is equivalent to RM 9K, then isn't that I can stop my current full time job? So I gave it a try...
Unfortunately, this is not what I made for the past few years. In monthly average, my blog income is around US$ 120. So convert it to Malaysia currency is RM 360. So it is not a very successful case. It is even lower than my investment return and way below my main source of income. Okay, the only excuse that I can give to myself is, I'm just doing it part time. But to be honest, even I can do it full time, I don't think I can achieve US$ 3K in a month. Perhaps I also failed to achieve the 3 steps that I mentioned in my previous post - secret to get rich quick and fast. That's why is ashamed when @lieucf said wanted to interview me. :) Perhaps also this is due to I don't really focus on making money at the first place, see my main priority in blogging below.
Here are some tips or my experiences that you may find it useful for blogging:
Tips and Experiences To Share in Blogging
- My main priority is NOT making money in blog. My main priority is for my own reflection. I write is because I want to reflect. Secondly, I hope I can share my reflections to the rest and get feedback from all of you. So this probably keeps me blogging until today which is a good thing because I've seen many blogs cannot sustain more than 2 years.
- Choose a simple domain name. One mistake that I made is the URL of this blog started with "FinancialIndependent". The name just too long. So if you want to start a blog, I suggest you think of a short name (as short as possible), try to have name that doesn't not have more than 3 sounds. For example, "ChampDog" is a pretty good name and easy to be remember, I think. :)
- Using blogspot is cool and I have no regret. But I know people said if you want to be professional, you need to have your own domain. For me, I think it depends on what you want to do. If it is mainly for blogging, I think that's fine for blogspot because what people is really interested is your ideas. In fact blogspot makes my life easier, and I just need to focus on what I need to blog. However, for setting up a company or selling certain products, I will think it is better to have your own domain.
- Adsense is the main source of my blog income which contributes to 80%. Given the fact that I'm not a very successful case of making money in blogging, I can't give much comment here. Perhaps, you can share with me and give me some tips how you can earn like crazy in blogging?
- Blog frequently and consistently. For example, if you have decided to publish a post a very week, try to publish your post every week rather sometime few days and some other time more than a week. Just try to be consistent because it allows the Google search engine roughly to know when your website will be updated and it crawls accordingly. Lately, I have been using scheduled post which I find it very useful to force myself to blog consistently. Hopefully this can sustain.
- I have never done paid post or paid review unless they allow me to write independently which means I can write bad reviews too if I think it is bad. But I don't think they allow me to do that. In short, I think paid post is not honest and defeat of my blogging purpose. Perhaps this makes me cannot earn in blogging?
- Started guess post and having the guest post guideline too but don't think this is going good anywhere. Most authors who write guest post seem like only interested in one thing which is "link building" but what I"m looking for is "interaction" with them. Perhaps, I should just consider to stop having this guest post open in this blog anymore.
In short, can blogging really make a lot of money? At least it is NO to me. Money that I get from my blog can't able to feed me at all. Do you have anything to share or any advice for me?